We were introduced to Syracuse Community Health Center by a healthcare consultant. The health center’s mission is to provide primary and supportive health care for over 34,000 patients per year while remaining cost effective and competitive. The health center wanted to optimize cash flow.
To ensure the health center’s money is being well-spent, obtain refunds, and identify cost reduction opportunities that will benefit the health center for years.
We received the last 1-3 months of invoices from each of their waste, phone, internet, and utility vendors as well as a one-page Letter of Agency (LOA) for each vendor. We submitted the LOA to each vendor authorizing Integrity Cost Consulting to talk to the vendor and request supporting documentation that is needed to properly verify charges. This information doesn’t accompany the invoices.
We performed an audit of trash, recycling, medical waste, shredding, phone, internet, electric, water/sewer, and natural gas charges. In summary, we:
1) Reviewed the utility tariff assigned to the client and all other tariffs available to ensure the client was operating under the most cost advantageous tariff.
2) Ensured the tariff was applied correctly for the past 36 months of usage.
3) Reviewed all utility bill line items for accuracy.
4) Evaluated current phone billing charges against local and national market pricing and trends to ensure client was receiving all available discounts and promotions.
5) Reviewed phone vendors’ Customer Service Records (CSRs), containing the Universal Service Ordering Codes, to find all line item charges that add up to the summary of charges shown on the invoice, since many line items are not itemized on the invoices.
6) Reviewed waste service levels, pickup frequencies, and containers being used.
7) Verified waste vendors were administering services according to all regulations.
8) Used our proprietary market rate database (maintained daily for over 20 years) to verify client was paying market rates for their level of service.
9) Reviewed terms and conditions for all waste contracts.
Phone and internet – 16% reduction
Trash and recycling – 58% reduction
Medical waste - 77% reduction
Shredding – 51% reduction
1) Reduced or removed unnecessary charges and fees.
2) Removed unnecessary minimum billing charges.
3) Removed redundant billing charges.
4) Found client was being charged for phone services no longer needed.
5) Optimized waste service levels.
6) Rectified cost imbalance between waste service levels and prices charged.
7) Negotiated new waste services and contracts.
8) Negotiated better, more favorable waste contract terms and conditions to protect the client for as long as they’re in operation.
The money will be used to provide supportive care services to more patients in Onondaga County, regardless of their ability to pay for services.
For more information on how an invoice audit could benefit your company for no cost and a small investment of your time, call or email us.
President, Integrity Cost Consulting